Entraining water will help your lake to thrive!
Heathland Fountains can provide a variety of diffused lake aerators offering both tube or disc style diffuser membranes, so there is something to suit everyone. Disc style diffuser membranes entrain water from the top of the membrane up through the water column whereas tube style diffuser membranes entrain water from 360° around the tube, allowing them to reach deeper water, while the height of the diffuser base prevents them from disturbing the actual lake bed.
Benefits of Lake Aeration
During the summer most lakes tend to suffer from thermal stratification, a process by which the lake water develops layers. On the bottom of the lake you'll have cooler, oxygen depleted water, which is separated from the warmer oxygen rich water on the surface of the lake by a layer called the thermocline. The differences in water density at the thermocline means that the top layer and the bottom layer are prevented form mixing.
When you aerate the lake from the lake bed up, the toxic gasses that can become trapped under the thermocline can then escape, thereby helping to provide a a balanced habitat in your lake. The aeration also creates aerobic conditions near the pond bottom where microbial processes can naturally break down nutrients that might otherwise be used in the production of noxious aquatic weeds and algae.
Heathland Fountain's diffused aeration systems pump air through the diffuser membranes and this air is then able to make its way to the lake surface in the form of millions of tiny bubbles. As these bubbles travel upward through the layers of thermal stratification they entrain water with them. This water is carried to the surface where it becomes naturally oxygenated, thus aerating the water body.
Key features to using diffused aeration systems in your lake;
- Breaks up thermal stratification throughout the water column, allowing the entire water column to be oxygenated and eliminating highs and lows in both temperature and oxygen levels.
- Increases the breakdown of aquatic waste by providing a habitat beneficial for aerobic bacteria to flourish.
- When operated continuously in freezing climates, these pumps will keep open areas in the ice to allow toxic gases to escape and increases the oxygen level in the water.
- Winter operation will keep areas of frozen ponds open allowing birds and other wildlife to gain the much needed water they need during freezing conditions.
- Prevents fish kills in freezing conditions.