Entraining water begins with our diffused aeration style of aerators. We have a selection of diffused aerators that offer tube styled diffuser membranes or disc styled diffuser membranes. The disc style membranes will draw in and transport, also know as entrain, the water from the top of the membranes towards the surface. The tube style membrane allows water to be entrained from 360° around the tube meaning it reaches deeper water, while the height of the base stops it from disturbing the fishery bed.
Why is aerating your fishery so important?
Thermal stratification occurs during the summer, this is when layering within the water occurs. The surface layer will contain warmer, oxygen rich water, whilst the bottom layer contains cooler, oxygen depleted water. These two layers are separated by a thermocline layer. It is the difference in water density here, that stop the top and bottom layer mixing.
Heathland Fountains and Aerators can supply a diffused aeration system that pumps air in the form of millions of tiny bubbles throughout the diffuser membranes, these bubbles will then travel to the surface through the layers of thermal stratification, entraining water to the surface, where it becomes naturally oxygenated.
By aerating and circulating water from the fishery bed up, any toxic gases that had been previously trapped under the thermocline layer are released providing a balanced habitat. This will create aerobic conditions near the fishery bed where microbial processes can naturally break down nutrients that would otherwise be used in the production of noxious aquatic weeds and algae.
Key features of a diffused aeration systems in your fishery;
- Breaks up thermal stratification throughout the water column allowing the entire water column to be oxygenated and eliminating highs and lows in both temperature and oxygen levels.
- Increases the breakdown of aquatic waste by providing the habitat beneficial for aerobic bacteria to flourish.
- When operated continuously in freezing climates, these pumps will keep open areas in the ice to allow toxic gases to escape and increases the oxygen level in the water.
- Winter operation will keep areas of frozen fisheries open allowing birds and other wildlife to gain the much needed water they need during freezing conditions.
- Prevents fish kills in freezing conditions.